Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sony NWZ-S616F pink

Guess what I bought.
P1000030P1000029
P1000027P1000033
P1000028

My sister wants larger capacity DAP than the 2GB nano I gave her, and something with FM radio. The Sony player is perfect, especially with its super easy drag-n-drop file transfer. I guess transferring music to the nano is not "easy" enough for her. :p Plus she doesn't need gapless playback.

The NWZ-S616F comes with minimal accessories. A stock bud (looks like the crappy E808), USB to WM-port cable, and a dock adapter. The body is plastic, but build quality seems okay. The buttons (especially the volume and hold switch) feel really cheap though. The FCC label looks like a cheapo sticker. Unit is Made in Malaysia. Obviously thicker vs the 2G nano (pictured above).

Drag-n-drop from my iMac is straight forward. The Sony is recognized as a UMS device. Drag-n-drop files using Finder is super easy. The only weird issue is that I cannot seem to eject the device. Every time I eject it, it will reconnect almost right away. Unplugging the USB cable when it's not writing doesn't hurt the content, but Finder yelled at me. I connected it to my WinXP machine, and it's recognized as UMS device just fine. The fact that a Sony audio device can be as easy as this is mind boggling. :D

Oh, gapless? Since I don't see anybody doing it, I conducted a test myself. Here's the video:


In short, gapless only on WAV files. Even at 4GB, using WAV files is not practical, unless you only listen to very few albums.

No comments: