Monday, April 14, 2008

Firefox 2 crapping out

OK, I'm getting tired of Firefox 2. I've been using Firefox since it was Firebird. I love the extensions, especially adblock. So what's the problem? I don't know whether it is due to the latest version of Firefox 2 or Adobe's latest flash plugin, but my Firefox has been unusable on random occasions by taking up 100% of the CPU. It's been happening in the past, although not as often as recently, and updating to the latest version (2.0.0.13) and installing the latest Adobe's flash plugin don't seem to help. No, I'm not browsing in 7 tabs, this happened randomly when I'm using 1 or 2 tabs only. Usually it happens when there's a flash plugin involved (eg. Youtube). Thing is, most of the time it's fine, but I'm getting tired of these random 100% CPU glitches. Even worse, if there's a script from a website that is not responding, Firefox seemed stuck trying to load that site, taking 100% CPU/freezing up. For example, I have a twitter update on my blog. Twitter is down, and now Firefox freezes up everytime I'm trying to access my blog, taking 100% CPU. To add insult to the injury, Firefox 2 easily gobbled up more than 100MB of my RAM, even when I have no tabs opened. In fact, I'm using IE7 now to post this.

Although IMO IE7 is a bit faster than Firefox 2, I love adblock extension too much to give up Firefox. Downloading Firefox 3 beta now.

No comments: