Monday, January 5, 2009

Picasa for Mac!

Google finally released the long awaited Picasa for Mac (in beta of course). Before I switched to Mac, I love Picasa on Windows. It's pretty much iPhoto, if not better, on Windows. Although iPhoto 08 is pretty good, I still miss Picasa.

Features I like in Picasa:
-Ability to watch folder(s). You can set Picasa to watch certian folders, and it will automatically import any new pictures it find in those folders. This is something that you would think Apple would've thought, but no such features in iPhoto.
-I'm feeling lucky. I'm feeling lucky is a one click quick fix button. From what I see, it does a much better job every single time when compared to iPhoto's auto enhance.
-Folder structure. Although I really like iPhoto 08's way of organizing pictures with events, Picasa's folder structure is more flexible and easier to manage.
-Collages. Again, something that you would think Apple would've thought. This is a pretty fun feature, especially when you want to create a cover for a photo album or wallpaper. Example below:
CD covers

The only downside is since Picasa is google's product, upload integration is only for Picasa web album or Youtube. Still, Picasa is an excellent software, and the Mac version is long overdue. Let's see what Apple would do with iPhoto 09.

No comments: